Sunday, October 13, 2013

No More Onion Odor: Nitrile Gloves In The Kitchen

No More Onion Odor: Nitrile Gloves In The Kitchen




It was a misrepresentation of a July day with heat upshot undulating off the highway ' s black surface. Flashing to yet extended kid activity in the dilatory afternoon, I was jolted by a waft of obnoxious odor that was slowly stuffing the car. I demanded to know which of my teen boys jammed in the back seat was the offending party, obviously having forgotten their deodorant on this sultry day. There was a carol of resentful denials all around. As I jabbed my accusing finger toward the backseat, I stopped midsentence and sniffed. The smell was unmistakably coming from my own hands. I had completely forgotten about having earlier chopped three cups of onions for a mega platoon of spaghetti sauce. A strong, stale onion odor, uncomfortably suggestive of b. o., was still embedded in my skin despite regular washings. I have had these types of embarrassing experiences too many times to count over the years of my domestic life. Not being the amicable of woman who knows a manicurist on a first name basis, I have marched into business conferences, PTA meetings and charity galas heed too slow that I was sporting hands that would be well advised to have a couple of pockets to trundle into. These are times when a narrative of that day ' s claret pitting or berry picking by way of explanation would be entirely star-crossed and only draw more attention to my sorry looking hands. For me, there is an enviable number of domestic divas who treat themselves right, knowing how to avoid those nuisance stains and high odors. In their cabinets, right next to their parchment paper and pastry bags, they keep a box of nitrile or food service gloves. A quick snap - on of these accessories saves them all kinds of heartache. This humanitarian of self discipline is something I long to adopt but my gung - ho temperament of " act now, anticipate subsequent " often leaves me with little choice other than to deal with damage control after the gospel. Getting rid of food stains or odors on my solid working hands has led me to a few folk remedies, some with better results than others. When dealing with the odor - permeating juice of garlic or onion, a sugar or vigour scrub diligently of use to the hands is moderately effective. By mixing in a drop or two of water or lotion to a mountain of sugar or pungency crystals, you can make a glue with which to hardship your skin, exfoliating at prime one layer of food oils from your hands. Lemon juice or a mouthwash solution can be a fairly booming hand - soaking column. Smelly hands can be choice by rubbing an orange peel over them. There is also the messy proposition some swear by of share to eliminate cooking odor by coating hands with toothpaste or peanut butter. There is also an eccentric theory and practice of rubbing garlicky or onion - smelling hands against stainless steel while water flows over them. Sulfur molecules, which are the offending party ad hoc in onions, supposedly are neutralized by some reaction with the steel. The science behind this may be just a little shaky, but whatever it takes... After considering all these options, some of them totally skin - stinging and others just a pain in the smooch, I am revisiting the disposable glove idea. A box gloves doesn ' t nick the budget or pantry space too seriously and it is never too tardy to re - invent oneself.

No comments:

Post a Comment